Sparking big changes at the world's leading retailer
Saving money and living better
- Capabilities utilized:
- Brand assessment
- Brand positioning
- Brand identity
- Logo design
- Retail design
- Brand management
Since its first store opened in 1962, Walmart has grown rapidly from its roots in rural America to urban and suburban communities in the US and abroad. Delivering on a basic promise to provide every day low prices has made Walmart the most successful retailer in the world. In order to stay in front and become more relevant to a broader audience, Walmart determined it was necessary to undertake a massive initiative to revitalize its brand.
Updating a classic
The challenge of attracting new customers while retaining loyalists
With almost a million and a half associates in over 4,000 stores, a branding program of this nature is a mammoth undertaking.
As a well-established and highly visible brand, Walmart wished to contemporize its look and feel while building upon the brand equity and values of its legacy and heritage.
To be successful in its repositioning, Walmart had to extend its appeal to a broader audience without losing sight of its core customer base.
Revitalizing the brand positioning and store experience retained Walmart’s price leader status while forming a compelling emotional connection with target customers.
- Refreshed positioning to shift the focus beyond price to the emotional benefits of shopping at Walmart
- Emphasized how smart shopping not only saves money but also enables customers to live better lives, as captured in the new tag line “Save money. Live better.”
- Created a new logo and visual system that embodies the Walmart brand attributes and signals the improved experience shoppers and associates can expect: friendly, approachable, warm and reliable
- Developed an award-winning “Brand Book” that inspires and enables Walmart associates to be brand ambassadors at every interaction with the shopper
- Created an online brand center that serves as a real-time source for viewing and downloading brand guidelines and assets
- Translated new Walmart brand into all aspects of the in-store experience, designing new interiors, signage and merchandising displays
- Developed and tested prototype retail locations that deliver a more intuitive, consistent shopping experience across multiple departments and in different store formats
- Rebranded the home office interiors to motivate associates to “live the brand” and to reinforce the company’s mission throughout the organization
A comprehensive brand update–revised positioning, tag line, in-store experience, and internal brand resources–drives a more emotional connection with customers.
Walmart kickstarts new growth and energizes its image
The results are evident in Walmart’s refreshed image and improved connection with customers.
Walmart's performance on key brand attributes is improving. Between 2008 and 2010, ratings for how “fast,” “friendly,” and “clean” Walmart is increased significantly.
Additionally, the company maintained traffic from core customers while growing traffic by approximately 7% from customers with incomes above $75,000 – an underrepresented customer segment for Walmart prior to the brand revitalization.
In the press
- March 1, 2010
Supermercado de Walmart won Chain Store Age’s Retail Store of the Year in the supermarket category.
- October 29, 2008
USA Today reports on Walmart’s new, unified store experience. Aside from the redesigned logo, Walmart stores will feature an innovative design that is intended to render their experience more enjoyable, with higher ceilings, lower shelves, wider aisles and a softer color palette.